Papallacta pass thermal springs, 2 days/1 night, private
Located over 10,000 feet above sea level in a temperate montane forest, Papallacta Thermal Springs Resort is just two hours away from Quito. Nestled high in the Andean Cordillera at the entrance of the Amazonian jungle, Papallacta features several hot thermal spring pools of different sizes and temperatures, with hydro-massage and bubble jets; private pools are used by Metropolitan's guests (the first day), but they also have access to the public pools if they wish. Resort facilities include a first-class hotel and restaurants offering local and international cuisine with the main specialty: fresh trout.
The hydrothermal value of Termas de Papallacta's Hot Springs is thanks to Papallacta's location between two volcanoes, Volcano Cayambe and Volcano Antisana. Facilities include a first-class hotel, a full service spa and restaurants offering local and international cuisine with its main specialty: fresh trout. Overnight at Termas de Papallacta Hots Springs Resort &SPA
Depart Quito in the morning for Papallacta Pass traveling on the Cinnamon Trail, the route the Spanish Conquistador Francisco de Orellana took in 1542, when he crossed the Andean mountain range in search of spices and gold, only to discover the Amazon River. Upon arrival check-in at the hotel to leave your luggage there. Then proceed to the Thermo-ludic area of the Spa (pools) where guests receive towel, bathing cap and are assigned a locker. If they wish, guests can make reservations for extra treatments, which have to be paid directly to the Spa. A snack is offered at the Cafeteria (hot cheese sandwich, coffee or tea). Then, get ready to discover your adventurous spirit through a nature walk on marked paths alongside a pristine mountain stream, observing the flora and fauna of the humid montane Andean forest of the Canyon Ranch, a protected area of 625 acres (250 hectares), one of the entrances to the ecological reserve Cayambe-Coca. After this pleasant walk, enjoy lunch featuring fresh trout from their own trout farm. Vegetarian and other options are also available.
In the afternoon relax and soak away life's aches and pains. Revitalize your body and soul in Papallacta's medicinal hot thermal spring pools experience the notable, restorative effects of the crystalline thermal waters (sulfate alkaline terreous). Submerge yourself in the warm water and take advantage of its curative properties in rheumatic, arthritic, digestive and respiratory processes. The water is odorless, crystalline and ever changing. Guests have unlimited use of the pools at the hotel, at the Spa or the larger public pools. Do try an after-dinner soak under the starry equatorial skies.
An early hike, before or after breakfast, is great to feel the beneficial effects of the life-giving, diaphanous air which originates in a singular meeting of the Amazonian winds with the rocks, forests and water of the high Andean mountains. Papallacta is ideal for birdwatchers, with more than 160 different species of birds, including many hummingbirds and tangaras. Visit the Exploratory research and interpretation center, which offers audiovisual information on those species only found around Papallacta. Once again, enjoy the thermal pools of the hotel, or the public pools before lunch at the hotel and return to Quito in the afternoon.
- One night Accommodations
- Entrance fee to public pools
- Round trip land transportation and guide
- Use of the Resort SPA facilities (other than the pools the first day) has extra cost. Resort facilities include a first-class Spa that offers hydrotherapy using mineral, medicinal thermal water, therapies, massages, and treatments tailored to your needs.
- Reservations for weekends and holidays must be made within at least 60 days in advance and will apply rack rates for Papallacta Hot Springs Resort, please do not hesitate to ask your account executive for further information.
- Not included: tips, drinks, personal expenses, meals not noted in the program and entrance fees as mentioned above, SPA beauty treatments.
Our recommendations for the best possible experience
- Warm clothing is needed ( rain jacket, sweater, long sleeves)
- It is quite windy, consider gloves, hat and ear protection.
- Don't forget your bathing suit! and sandals
- Take rain protection from January to May.
- Hat or cap, wear sunblock (SPF 40) even if is overcast
- Binoculars and sunglasses
- Altitude: 2800 to 4000 meters (9800 - 12,120 feet)
- Don´t forget your camera.
- Average temperature Day: 10° to 20° C (50° to 68° F)
- Average temperature Night: 5° to 10° C (40° to 50° F)
- The source temperature of the thermal baths varies between 30°C and 70°C (86°F and 158°F). At the pools the temperature ranges from 36°C to 40°C (97°F to 104°F).
- Papallacta´s thermal waters contain sulfates, sodium, calcium, chloride and traces of magnesium which are odourless, colourless but have a slightly salty taste.
- Besides improving intestinal function, the bath´s curative properties are also anti-allergenic, anti-inflammatory, diuretic and anti-rheumatic, provide a relaxing effect on smooth muscle tissue (renal, hepatic, gall, etc.) also alleviates respiratory problems Improves osteo-synthesis, muscle and joint elasticity and speeds up recovery processes of cuts and fractures, stimulates the healing process, improves intestinal function, stimulates dilatation of blood vessels and improves blood flow eliminates toxins.
- Women in the first or last pregnancy trimester should consult their doctor before using the hot springs.
- People with critical illnesses such as descompensated cardiopathies, serious arterial hypertension, vascular problems, cancer or neoplasias should consult their doctor
- Those who have recently consumed alcohol should not enter the baths, alcohol should not be consumed whilst bathing.
- If dehydrated you should exit the baths and drink plenty of water
- For safety's sake, please consult the medical staff at Termas de Papallacta regarding any doubts or questions you may have or address to your local doctor.
Beneficial Effects In The Golden Years
- The world-renowned healing properties of the thermal baths are especially beneficial for those aged 65 years and over. Benefits apply to everyone.
- This tour includes walking at an approximate altitude of 3500 meters (11.000 feet)
- Good walking shoes.
||Rates per Person (US$)
|PRICES PER PERSON 2013
||5 - 9
||10 - 14
||15 - 20
Birdwatching on the slopes of the Andean Ranges
Discover Ecuador’s amazing and unrivaled avifauna at our premier birding sites.
Discover Ecuador’s amazing and unrivaled avifauna at our premier birding sites. About the size of the United Kingdom or the State of Colorado in the U.S., Ecuador houses some 1600 species of birds --over half of the species in all of South America; Ecuador is home to the greatest bird diversity, like no other destination in the world.
Ecuador’s fascinating geography and unique landscapes, with easy and comfortable access to all areas, allows for bird watching in the montane and cloud forests surrounding the volcanoes in the high Andes, home to many endemic and stunning birds.
Exploring the Eastern or Western slopes of the Andes you will find different habitats and the greatest biodiversity known in our planet, guided by the most professional, highly experienced bird watching experts.
Departures are flexible, with carefully designed programs and excursions to provide maximum birding and nature experiences. Choose full day, one, two or more night excursions.